The following discussion makes the case that the phrase “make America great again” is false rhetoric. With over 324 million people, America is the fourth largest country by land space, and third-most populous. America is one of the world’s most ethnically diverse and multicultural nations, and is home to the world’s largest immigrant population.
The history of America , is a multifaceted topic that could take weeks, if not months, to discuss. Having an understanding of the foundations in which our country was built upon is something everyone should invest time in. This is not an article that will extensively educate you on what it means to be an American.
The goal of this discussion is to discuss the robust set of opportunities that our country provides, depending on how you choose to look at it. Our country isn’t perfect, the grass isn’t greener on the other side , but the benefits of being an American are totally dependent upon you, the reader.
Instead of trying to convince you that America is great, we would rather list out some of the benefits that you have, compared to those who are fighting for rights, and access to our nation. Yes, for every benefit there is a harsh reality that out-weighs it, but we prefer to choose optimism over pessimism any day of the week.
Below are a few simple, yet hard-hitting tips that will help you to better understand what America really is, and the opportunities that you have.
- America is a place where you are free to claim possessions as your own, but this country doesn’t belong to one person, it’s too big, we should be more willing to share it with others.
- Fun fact: Did you know that in China the government owns the land that you built your house upon? No one truly knows when, but at anytime you can have your property taken away from you. Just another reason why we should appreciate what we have.
- Though not equal, opportunity in this country runs rampant. America allows you to be whomever you want to be, and have anything as long as you are willing to work for it. The laws of this country have been put in place to protect you, not hurt you. America is an open market, in which every man and woman has the right to own, and disperse ownership as they please.
- Stop expecting so much. When you expect less you will always have more. Don’t expect to have first rights to college acceptance, higher salaries, better jobs, or sympathy. Not to say that you aren’t deserving of the aforementioned, but you must have perspective when valuing things. When you expect nothing, you will be happier, and surprised more often then being disappointed, or upset.
- Freedom of expression in America is often taken for granted. Most parts of the world do not have a voice, and speaking up could lead to consequences, or punishment. In addition to using your voice, utilize this opportunity to take action, and lead by example. Don’t sit there and tell people what should be done, show them how it should be done. Talking and walking at the same time is a talent that isn’t easily mastered.
- Just because you are American doesn’t actually mean you are better than everyone else. Try spending some time outside of the country, and you will learn that you are “lucky” to be an American. It is true that America does somethings really well, way better than other places, but behind every invention, table, phone, desk, or cooked meal, there is a person. Try to understand the people of another culture, don’t force your opinions on others, there are always multiple solutions that can be applied to a given problem. Instead of saying things “should be this way”, try laying out the “potential solutions”, and dive deeper into the why behind the what.
America is amazing. We can have what ever we want, be whomever we want, do what we want to do, as long as we try. Put in the effort, don’t be afraid to do something alone, and expect nothing from anyone. Having the support of your peers, government benefits, and loving relationships with friends is an exciting addition that bears fruit alongside with your hard work.
Thank you for reading!
If you have a moment please help us with something: