10 Reasons Why Intimate Relationships Make You Better At Business
Being in a relationship is not something for everyone. For some, holding a relationship longer than 2 years is nearly impossible in our 20’s, and by time we hit our 30’s all of the good ones are taken. The city that you live in can also have a great affect on your dating experiences. Sure, big coastal cities like New York, and Los Angeles are prime for those looking for a fun date, but sadly these cities rank the absolute worst in economical costs. Meaning that being single could get expensive, and fast!
According to The Atlantic, unmarried women (and men), could pay as high as a million dollars more in their lifetime than their married counterparts in healthcare, taxes, and more. This is insane! Are we advocates of you saving money? Yes! Are we advocates of an enriched, fulfilling love life? Absolutely! Are we suggesting that you drop everything and get married to your co-worker? NO! You never know when the “right one”, will come along, or the “one that got away” will ever even consider being with you in the first place. Though, take into consideration that there are some quality benefits to being in a relationship, which we listed below.
(1) Communication. The absolutely, undisputed, number one priority of any relationship, professional or personal. Bad communication is the source to all problems, while good communication is the solution to them. Remember, everyone’s perspective is different from your own. Even saying the same words, spoken in english, never have the same meaning from person to person. Ever. If there is something important that you need to discuss, talk. If you feel you’ve been talking to much, don’t talk. If you are having a disagreement, talk it through. If there is a problem that needs to be confronted, confront it. No matter your age, position, request, or disposition, talk, talk, talk. Just don’t talk too much.
(2) You are far less distracted in a world full of distraction. While some of your friends and colleagues may want to go out and party after work, you most likely will have a loved one, or significant other waiting for you to check-in. This doesn’t mean that you stop going out, but you start to consider the schedule, and interests of that individual. This sort of mind-fullness will help you to become a more empathetic person, which can take you far in your career.
(3) You become a top notch negotiator, even better than the great William Shatner himself. An important part about being empathetic is that you need to understand the wants and needs of others. Once you have this down, you can then search for the “sweet spot” in between what it is they want, versus what you want. When everyone’s happy, the world is a much better place.
(4) Honesty and integrity are pre-requisite to any relationship that you have. Overtime this turns into trust, something very hard to get, and very easy to lose. When people feel they can trust you, your life will improve dramatically. People are more willing to share things with you, than with others. People don’t mind handing out important tasks that they feel they can only trust you with. At home, or at work, being a trusty worthy person pays unrivaled dividends. Just be careful, “with great power, comes great responsibility”. – Uncle Ben
(4) Teamwork makes the dreamwork. Whether you are building a billion dollar startup, or planning on making additions to the family, you cannot go it alone. You need someone there supporting you, as your talents can only take you so far. Having an intimate relationship with someone really exposes your weaknesses, but note that this is for the better. The moment you realize everything you lack, is the moment you start investing energy into what you have. Open yourself up, be vulnerable, and allow someone to support you through the best and worst of times. Worst case scenario, if things don’t work out, you learned something amazing about yourself.
(6) Time management skills are the seventh wonder of the world. You simply cannot fathom the amount of people who don’t know what it means to actually be on time. In fact, some employers will fire you for being on time. The truth is, being on time simply isn’t enough, especially in an ultra competitive world where there is someone out there that can replace you. Even if it costs more money to the employer in the long run, it is well worth it to remove a potential enigma, rather than letting it sit, and feed on your team’s culture. Like work, you must be cognizant of your lovers’ schedule, as they also have a life. Not timing things out correctly, can lead to bad scheduling, and some serious arguments.
(7) Tax deductions will help you contribute to the vast amounts of money you can save by being in a relationship. Let’s just hope that your partner hasn’t racked up 8 years worth of student loans. If married with children, then the benefits go even higher on a per child basis. Having children is difficult in it’s own right, but Uncle Sam still has your back when most needed.
(8) Intimacy in relationships is hands down one of the best benefits to a relationship (sexual experiences may vary). To keep things grass-fed, and kosher, we included a Maxim Magazine article that will list out some of the many billions of benefits sex has on us. Now go get yours!
(9) R-E-S-P-E-C-T from your peers increases dramatically. In a world where the workplace is constantly being filled by robots, or millennials, we are seeing less and less young adults get married. Regardless of the fact that you make more money than those who aren’t, and save more due to shared costs, and tax benefits, the truth is that we all know that marriage isn’t easy. Nothing in life is easy, but if you put the time and energy into it, it could be worth the investment. Your peers will say that they love going out, getting crazy, and being single, which is only true if they actually knew the benefits of the married life. The moment that they want to make a change, or invest more into their career, they will already be too far behind to keep up with you.
(10) Starting a family WILL CHANGE YOU. Everyday we feel the pressure of being an American. We want success, more money, less stress, the ability to pay our bills and enjoy a social life. Well, try throwing in children into the mix. DAINT. Men, and Women (especially woman) become more productive at work when they have children. Is this motivated by the fear of failure, or the need to take care of your children? We aren’t really sure, as motivation varies from person to person. What we do know is that, less time is wasted, and it’s much harder to change jobs, or careers once those children come. There are some pretty amazing benefits to children, but if you are not ready, please wait!
Thank you for reading!
If you have a moment please help us with something: